Mint Frosted Brownies
After three weeks of whirlwind travel, including 10 flights and 4 timezones, I was very ready to get back to my happy place in the kitchen this weekend for some much needed catching up on baking for the blog. Needless to say, I needed to definitely ease back into baking with a simpler recipe, as I was adjusting back to one time zone and Daylight Savings. Miss Jones Baking Co. had recently sent me some of their Organic Brownie Mix to try, which seemed like a perfect time to test out a recipe idea I had for some frosted brownies just in time for St. Patrick’s Day.
After a few weeks of back to back travel on the road, I was looking for some healthier food options and a break from eating out. Miss Jone’s Baking Company’s Organic Brownie Mix sounded like an easy enough way to ease back into healthy eating.
I mean yes they are brownies, but eating organic is a start right? I guess not if you top it with sugary frosting, but oh well. Baby steps! Sometimes I make brownies from scratch, but honestly there are easy ways to up the ante on your box brownie mix that taste just as good super quickly.
I always add high-quality chocolate chips to my brownie mix. In this recipe I used Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Mini Chips to mix into the batter before baking. With each bite you get a little extra melty chocolatey goodness. I really liked this brownie mix because it as not too thick or dense, which let the frosting compliment it and not overpower it.
I kept the minty flavor just with the frosting, as to not overdo it with mint on mint in both the brownies and frosting. You can use canned frosting if you’d like, but I think there’s nothing better than a quick whipped up homemade frosting. There’s no precise science to homemade frosting either. It’s just finding the right balance of powdered sugar and milk, to get the right level of fluff to your frosting. You can use whatever food color floats your boat, but I chose green this week in honor of spring being around the corner and St. Patrick’s Day.
So the next time you’re looking for a quick dessert to whip up that is definitely a crowd pleaser, grab a box of brownie mix and top with homemade frosting and enjoy!
Mint Frosted Brownies
Yield: 12 Brownies
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 45 Minutes
- 1 Box brownie mix (I used Miss Jones Organic Brownie Mix)
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 tablespoon milk or cream
- Green food coloring
- Sprinkles for topping
- Prepare the brownie mix per the instructions in an 8x8 pan, lined with parchment for easy removal. Let cool completely and transfer to a large plate.
- To make the frosting, beat together the butter and powdered sugar on a low speed, gradually increasing the mixer speed until the powdered sugar is fully incorporated. Add in vanilla extract, peppermint extract and milk, and beat well. You may have to add more milk to thin it out, or more sugar to make it thicker to your preference. Mix in the green food coloring.
- Use a large spatula to evenly frost the top of the brownies. I like to slice the brownies before frosting. Top with sprinkles, and enjoy!